Monday, May 9, 2016

Review: Critical Eleven by Ika Natassa

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay, but here comes review part two. Critical Eleven by Ika Natassa is the second book I've read in 2016. :)

When I first saw Critical Eleven at the bookstore, I literally thought it was a non-fictional book about planes. A few months later, I picked it up from the shelf and read the short description on the back and realized that it was actually a romance novel.

Hahaha. Blame me and my stupid judgements.

My school library had this book on the available-to-borrow-soon glass shelf, so I didn’t bother to buy. I told a friend I wanted to read it soon after they’re available at the library, but she bought one for me instead as a birthday present. :3 Great though because I got to have my book signed at a meet and greet event with the author, Ika Natassa, not long after I finished reading the book.





CRITICAL ELEVEN
Author: Ika Natassa
Published in: TBA
Pages: TBA
Genre: Romance

My first impression was that this book’s got a nice book cover. The author came up with an interesting background of the title as well, which is the critical eleven minutes; of aeroplane’s taking-off and landing, as well as when meeting someone.

I really enjoyed reading it. It’s one of those books that are hard to put down once you read the first chapter. I don’t have the book with me as I write this post and I’ve probably forgotten bits of the story, but I remembered the first few chapters are about Anya and Ale’s first meeting at the plane and then their situation at the moment, that left me questioning what made their relationship crumble?

The story is written in both Anya and Ale’s POV (alternately) and the main language is Bahasa, though the author used English at times. Honestly, it’s everywhere nowadays and it’s actually OK. I think some things are a lot more easier to explain in English than in Bahasa, and I do understand that the characters are upperclass people and upperclass people usually use English on a daily basis, so it matches their background. However at some point I think it's too much. Maybe it's just me not being used to it though.



My favorite thing about Critical Eleven is the characters. They feel natural. I feel like Ika Natassa put much effort into building the characters and the events. It’s as if they’re real human-beings with their own jobs, personalities, hobbies, traits, and habits. Most importantly, past and memories. How Ale and Harris proposed their future wives. Little details like those. I think a lot of effort had also gone into researching about Ale’s job and like, coffee. I read it in the author’s note that she learnt about the job from her friend and she’s not a coffee person in real life but she could make Ale a coffee addict and like there’s a lot of info regarding coffee.

The only thing that I dislike about this book: [spoiler & rant alert] I honestly expected a lot from the ending... I was curious about it throughout the story. However, Anya’s pregnancy as the ending, really? REALLY? I JUST DON’T GET IT. I mean... that's it? Would they be okay like that?

I also wish there's more to the 'critical eleven' thing. Not much mentioned, even though it's the main thing of the book. However, don't get me wrong. Though some things don't meet my preference, overall I think Critical Eleven is worth the read. Such a great book. Remarkable characters, and it would make you feel a lot of things. I actually cried and laughed and felt 'awww'. 

One more thing. THIS REVIEW IS UTTERLY MY OPINION. You might or might not agree with my presspecive of this book. Please feel free to review my review on the comment section if you've already finished this book and think differently!

That's for now. Thank you for reading. Have a nice week!

xx emilywip

PS: The third book I read in 2016 is Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith or known as J. K. Rowling. I'm probably biased but my review in one phrase: mind blowing perfection. 

2 comments:

  1. I felt the "aaaaw" thing too when read this blogpost. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also went 'awww' when I read this comment :")

      Delete